Day Six

I prayed so hard and so much. I felt like Enos, who prayed all day and into the night and finally heard from God. I felt at peace that I would have another pregnancy out of this.

And those prayers were answered. In May 2019 the single embryo was transferred. A positive pregnancy test came back from the doctors office. We did it! This gave me more faith in the process. Ultrasounds were going great, the heart beat was perfect! We were going to have another little Bruner join us that year!

We again graduated from our fertility team and went to the care of Dr. Grey with KU Medical Center. I picked Dr. Grey based on her name and the fact that I loved KU Med and all that they had done. Further more, despite being in a new city a long distance from KU and closer to other OBs I decided to go with Dr. Meredith Grey who was a 40 minute drive compared to a 15 minute drive. That is how deep my love for KU Med is. Okay, maybe I watched too much Grey's Anatomy, I don't know. Why is there so much sex and drama in that show? And why doesn't Dr. House exist to fix all of my problems? House would tell me to get it together probably, after he popped a Vicodin or two and grabbed his handy cane. Anyways, this meant we were about 9 weeks into the pregnancy and we felt so good about it. I went to my first checkup with Dr. Grey at week 9. The little fetus was doing great! Perfect heartbeat. If I felt safe enough I would have skipped around the clinic in joy, but I would save that for later. We were into July and I would be having a 12 week scan done in just a week or so.

In the meantime, a semi truck and trailer entered the neighborhood behind my house. Realizing he was very much in the wrong place, the driver tried to turn around. Unfortunately for him, the street was not big enough for his truck and trailer and he backed up into the electrical pole behind our house. It took the pole down, along with the poles on either side and the electrical wires were ripped from our house causing close to $2,000 in damages. I had just put the twins down for a nap when this event occurred. The sound I heard made me think that my house was being torn down. It scared the... it scared me. Not only that, but the boys woke up from the monstrous noise and I didn't get to eat breakfast or lunch. I'm pregnant! Let me eat! So I got the boys outside before I realized what had happened, because honestly I believed my house was about to fall down. I soon realize that most of the people on my street are outside, they too heard the noise and came outside to figure it all out. As I chatted with neighbors I know that the twins are tired and needed a nap, so I pack them into the van and drive around town for a good half hour until they fall asleep. I just needed something. This was a small victory for me, a tired, hungry, pregnant lady with twin toddlers.

I drove back home and the city electrical company was there with the police investigating. I let the boys sleep in the van for awhile longer while I called someone from my relief society to find someone to take our food from the two fridges and freezers we own. Is it too late to mention I just went shopping at Costco? We had a lot of things in the fridge and freezer. Thankfully, the compassionate service leader from our ward was able to keep our food until we got the electrical problem figured out. Some friends invited us to their house that evening where they fed us dinner and let the kids play in their in-ground swimming pool while I got to relieve some stress. I confided in them that I was pregnant, around 10 weeks or so. They were elated for us! They knew we had struggled in the past with pregnancy and their daughter had also gone through the IVF process so they understood the joys, but especially the challenges and heartaches.

It took nearly a week to have everything restored back at our house. During that time it was freaking hot! We set the tent up in the yard and I let the boys play in our small kiddie pool most of the day. My 12 week scan was the following week. The day they restored the power back to our house I started having mild cramps. I was around 11 weeks at this point and felt confident that I had nothing to worry about as I was almost in the second trimester. The cramps persisted throughout the day and after I put the boys down for a nap I called my doctor. She asked me to come in as soon as possible, she knew our history of pregnancy. So I woke the boys up and drove 45 minutes to the hospital. Randall met me there. The nurse did the scan, found the fairly large fetus, but no heartbeat. I kept going in and out of wishing it were an awful dream to knowing it was a true nightmare. My true nightmare.

My doctor was busy in delivery, but her associate came in and told me I would need a D&C because I was so far along at nearly 12 weeks and explained to me what it was. I knew what it was. I'd had it done before. I just didn't think I'd need to do it again. Surgery was performed two days later, although I wished it could have been sooner, the pain was unbearable at times during those two days, and then I went home empty handed again. No baby, no chance at having another shot for another baby for awhile until we could save up another $10,000 for the medications. I was heartbroken and devastated that God could promise me something so powerful and yet, not deliver on that promise. I quickly started to realize why I had felt so impressed to start trying for another baby. Just as the twins had taken three years, the next baby would take a little while too it seemed.

Comments